Science & Medicine
● Who is the most famous scientist from your country? What did he/she do?
● In what ways has science most advanced society?
● In what ways has science had a negative impact on society?
● What do you think about evolution and other theories of natural selection?
● How will genetic engineering affect human evolution into the future?
● Describe the advantages and disadvantages of biotechnology.
● Do you like studying science? Why or why not?
● What natural disasters occur in your country? Explain why they happen.
● Do you think it’s ethical for scientists to clone animals? What about human organs?
● In your opinion, what’s the greatest medical advancement of the past century? Why?
● How has science influenced the way detectives investigate crimes?
● Do you think there is life on other planets? If so, how close is it and what does it look like?
● Do you know how your computer works? If so, explain how.
● How have you personally benefited from developments in modern medicine?
● What do you think will be the greatest medical breakthrough in the next ten years?
● What scientist do you respect the most and why?
● If you could contribute something to science or medicine, what would you do and why?
● In your opinion what has been the most important scientific discovery ever? Why?
● How would society be different if scientists hadn’t discovered and developed electricity?
● When do you think scientists will develop a cure for AIDS?
Environment and Pollution
Environmental pollution is defined as “the contamination of the physical and biological
components of the earth and the atmosphere’s system to such an extent that normal
environmental processes are adversely affected.
● Are there litter laws where you live? If so, what is the penalty for littering?
● Do you think cars should be banned from city centres?
● Do you think people should recycle newspapers? Why or why not?
● Do you think there are lessons to learn from nature?
● How has the world changed since you were a child? (technology, values, environment, health)
● What are some things that can be recycled?
● What are some things that your community is doing to help the environment?
● What are some things which you recycle?
● What are some types of pollution?
● What are some ways that you can reduce pollution in this country?
● What can you do to help prevent pollution?
● What can you do to make this world a better place?
● What do you think of people who smoke cigarettes indoors?
● Which is more important, increasing people’s standard of living, or protecting the environment?
● Who do you think is more responsible for pollution, individual people or the government? Explain.
● What is the most important issue facing the environment today?
● Do you know about any anti-pollution programs in your community?
● What about programs in your native country?
● Do you usually drink bottled water? Why or Why not?
● If you could choose one alternative energy source to develop, which one would you choose? Why?
● Are companies more or less environmentally responsible now than they were in the past?
● Do you think recycling is an important community service?
● Do you recycle?
● Who should pay for the costs associated with renewable energy?
● Should we make the development of renewable energy sources an economic priority?
● What are some ways energy is wasted?
● What types of energy are popular in your native country?
● What is the main problem with renewable energy sources?
● What can large cities do to improve their air quality?
● How can we protect the environment and at the same time improve people’s standard of living?
● Do you think overpopulation is an important environmental issue? Why or why not?
● Should gas for motorists be more expensive?
○ What would be the advantages and disadvantages of this?
● Do you think global warming is real?
○ Do you think this is an effect of pollution?
○ Are you worried about global warming?
● What’s happening to forests in the world?
○ What can we do to protect forests?
● Why should we recycle?
● Does your local government make it easy or hard for citizens to recycle?
● Are there people in your country who make their living from picking-up other people’s garbage?
● How is pollution affecting the environment in your country today?
● Do you think nuclear power is safe? Who should be allowed it and why? Who should police it?
● In what ways can we save more water? Please tell me your experiences.
● What should we do to increase awareness about environmental pollution?
● Do you have any ideas on how to minimise the use of plastic bags and Styrofoam boxes?
● Does your local government make it easy or hard for citizens to recycle?
● Would it annoy you if your partner, husband or wife flirts with someone else ?
● Do bad mannered people upset you?
● Do you get angry when politicians make promises they can’t keep?
● Do you get angry when you watch the news on TV and see all the terrible things happening in the world?
● Does it annoy you when someone interrupts you when you are speaking?
● Does it annoy you when you are waiting in a long queue and someone pushes in front of you?
● Does it annoy you when your teacher speaks too quickly?
● Does it make you angry when people make nasty comments about you ?
● Does it upset or annoy you when a beggar asks you for money?
● Does it upset you when you see homeless people?
● Does it upset you when you see people hitting children or animals?
Tell me about
● Can you tell us about something you love?
● Can you tell us about something you hate?
● Can you tell us about yourself?
● Can you tell us about your childhood?
● Can you tell me about your family?
● Can you tell me about your parents?
● Can you tell me about your boyfriend?
● Can you tell me about your girlfriend?
● Can you tell me about your pet?
● Can you tell me about something you believe in?
● Can you tell me about a place you’ve visited?
● Can you tell me about your education?
● Can you tell me about your work?
● Can you tell me about a teacher you had?
● Can you tell me about a boss you had?
● Can you tell me about the hardest thing you ever had to do?
● Can you tell me about what you enjoy doing most in your free time?
● Can you describe one of your closest friends?
● Do you make friends easily?
● Has a friend ever let you down?
● Have you made any friends over the Internet?
○ Have you ever met them in person?
● How are your friendships different now than they were when you were a child?
● How do you maintain a good friendship?
New Year’s Resolutions
● What are some New Year’s resolutions you have made in the past?
● How can New Year’s resolutions help you in the coming year?
● What are some New Year’s resolutions that you have broken quickly?
● What are some New Year’s resolutions that your friends have made?
● How can New Year’s resolutions be a good opportunity for change?
● What New Year’s resolutions are you still keeping now?
Gender roles in society means how we’re expected to act, speak, dress, groom, and conduct ourselves based upon our assigned sex. For example, girls and women are generally expected to dress in typically feminine ways and be polite, accommodating, and nurturing. Men are generally expected to be strong, aggressive, and bold.
● What are the responsibilities of a father to his family?
● What are the responsibilities of a mother to her family?
● Are fathers capable of carrying out the duties of a mother and vice versa?
● Should boys and girls be treated differently by their parents?
● Are there different expectations for sons and daughters?
● What jobs are deemed as appropriate for men but inappropriate for women?
● Are men and women equal in ability and intelligence?
● What things can either men or women do that the other cannot do and why?
● Can men wear women’s clothing or can women wear men’s clothing? Why or why not?
● Is it OK for men to cry?
● Is it possible for women to join the army in your country?
● Are there more male or female managers and executives? Why do you think this is?
● Can a man and a woman be only friends?
● Who do you think has life easier, girls or guys? Why?
● Have you been in the midst of danger before?
● What do you do when you feel someone might be following you?
● If your life was in danger, who would you call and why?
● What makes you suspicious of someone?
● Have you tried doing anything dangerous that could risk your life?
● Do you think your neighbourhood is dangerous?
● Have you caused any danger to other people before?
● What was the most dangerous thing that you have done?
● Do you think there are dangers in your house?
● What do you do when you see someone in danger?
● Are you a person that worries about nothing or everything? Give an example of something that you worry (or don’t worry) about.
● When can a government be a danger to its own people?
● What kinds of people in your community have occupations related to danger?
● What country do you consider the most dangerous in the world and why?
● Do you think that media (TV, movies, music) can be dangerous? Why?
● Are there homeless shelters in your country?
● Are there many suicides in your country?
● Are there nursing homes in your country?
● Do you think it’s acceptable for parents to use corporal punishment as a means of discipline? Why/why not?
● Do you think people should be allowed to smoke in public buildings?
● Do you think that minorities should be given job priority because of their race? Why/why not?
● Have you ever been a volunteer at a hospital?
● Have you ever experienced discrimination?
● Have you ever known someone with an addiction?
● In an overpopulated world, should people be free to have as many children as they want?
● What are some reasons people use illegal drugs?
● What are some reasons that people become homeless?
● What do you think is the most serious problem in the world?
○ Why do you think so?
○ What can we do as individuals to solve this problem?
● Do you think vitro fertilization should be available to parents so they can choose the sex of their child?
● Have you ever experienced discrimination on a personal level?
● Is it morally right to spend a lot of money on pets, rather than helping people in need?
● Are you pro-life, or pro-choice? Why, and how do you see the opposing viewpoint?
● Do you believe in the individual’s right to own firearms?
● How would you prevent someone from committing suicide?
Family and alternative lifestyles
● Can you describe a typical family in your country?
● Who is the head of the household in a typical family in your country?
● Do many wives work in your country?
○ What kinds of jobs do they have?
● If parents are both working, does this cause more or less stress in a family?
● If a wife works outside the home, should the husband help with the housework
inside the home? Why or why not?
● Are there many divorces in your country?
● What impact does divorce have on a family in your country?
○ What happens to divorced people?
○ What happens to their children?
● What do you think of married couples who decide not to have any children?
● Do single women in your country ever decide to have a baby and raise the child
by themselves? What do you think about this kind of decision?
● Where do grandparents live in your country?
● Do grandparents help to look after their grandchildren?
● Who should take care of old people?
● Do unmarried couples live together in your country these days?
○ What do people in your society think about this kind of arrangement?
● Do people in your country ever decide to remain single and not create a family?
○ If so, what does the rest of your society think?
● Is it necessary to get married to have a good life?
● Do people who are not related by blood ever live communally in your country?
● Is polygamy allowed in your culture?
○ Is it OK to have more than one spouse?
○ Would you like this lifestyle?
○ What countries allow this?
● When do children leave their parents’ home in your country?
● When do parents’ stop giving financial support to their children?
● Who in your family would you turn to if you had an emotional problem? Why?
● If you had a financial problem, would you expect your family to help?
● What is a perfect family or alternative lifestyle for you?
Culture is the characteristics and knowledge of a particular of people, encompassing language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts. Culture is the way of life of a particular group of people at a particular time.
● What do you think is interesting about your own culture?
● What is the best thing your culture has given to the world?
● When people from other countries think about your culture, what do they usually think of?
● What do you like least about your culture?
● What does it mean to be polite in your culture?
● What is considered rude in your culture?
● In your culture is it polite to be straightforward and direct when you talk to someone?
● What has surprised you when you’ve met people from other countries?
● How do young people in your culture behave differently from older people?
● Are there people of different cultures in your country? Are you friends with any of them?
● Have you ever felt confused by the actions of someone from another culture? If so, tell me about it.
● Who in your culture do you admire most?
● What in your culture are you most proud about?
● If you could change one thing about your culture, what would it be?
● Would you ever consider marrying or dating someone from another culture?
● Would you ever consider living permanently in a country other than your home country? Why or why not?
● If a group of people just came to your country from overseas, what advice would you give them?
● What culture besides your own do you admire? Why?
the action of giving someone support, confidence, or hope.
● What do you do to encourage yourself when going through hard times? Does it work?
● Who do you talk to for encouragement and inspiration?
● What books offer encouragement and inspiration?
● How can discouragement help us to grow?
● What do you do when you feel depressed?
● What could someone do to encourage you when you feel depressed?
● What are some sayings in your country that bring encouragement?
● What’s the most encouraging book you’ve ever read?
● How can you motivate others or yourself to have hope when there seems like there’s no hope?
● Should people just accept whatever comes their way?
● What are some ways you feel you can make a difference in this world?
● How can you make this world a better place?
● How would you encourage a homeless person who had no friends or relatives?
● What song encourages you most?
● What television show encourages you most?
● What person has inspired you the most? How?
● What celebrity has inspired you most? How
● When should you see a counsellor or psychologist?
● Can religious places help bring someone encouragement or inspiration?
● How can you make yourself believe more in yourself?
● Is it important to motivate children?
● How do you motivate children?
● Can some people destroy your motivation?
● What is something a boss can do to motivate his workers?
● How are you best motivated?
● How do you motivate your friends?
● How do you define motivation?
● What are three things that motivate you?
● Do you feel motivated when learning something new?
● Does motivation affect learning?
● In what way can we help people to increase their motivation?
● What is your proudest accomplishment so far this year?
● What is the difference between internal and external motivation?
● Do you find that motivated people are more successful than unmotivated people?
● What do you do to keep your motivation?
● Do you have an English goal?
● Is your goal specific, measurable, with a deadline?
● How do you maintain your motivation when you fail?
● Do you share goals and plans with others so that they will help you maintain your motivation and drive?
● How do you plan to motivate yourself to improve your English?
● Can motivation influence competitive behaviour?
The internet is the wider network that allows computer networks around the world run by companies, governments, universities and other organisations to talk to one another. The result is a mass of cables, computers, data centres, routers, servers, repeaters, satellites and Wi-Fi towers that allows digital information to travel around the world. The web is a way to view and share information over the internet. That information, be it text, music, photos or videos or whatever, is written on web pages served up by a web browser.
● How often do you use the internet?
● How can the internet help you learn English? Do you take advantage of this?
● Do you think our lives have been improved by the Internet?
● What problems does the Internet create? What problems does it solve?
● Do you have any ideas or ambitions to start an Internet company?
● Do men and women use the internet for different purposes?
● Do you think the Internet favours men or women?
● Do you use the Internet for fun or education?
● What are some of the ways the Internet can be used for education?
● What are some of the ways the Internet can be used for entertainment?
● Is there too much sex on the Internet?
● Is it dangerous to meet people on the Internet?
● Would you like to go on a date with someone you meet on the Internet?
● Do you think governments have the right to censor the Internet?
● Do you think that the Internet is safe for children? Why?
● Can you believe all the information that is published on the Internet?
● Do you think that working at home using the Internet is good or bad?
● Do you think that meeting people is easier than meeting people face to face?
● Do you think that the Internet will replace Libraries?
● Do you think that online banking will become popular in all countries? What is the disadvantage of this?
● How does the Internet help people from different countries to communicate with each other?
● Do you think that Internet usage is an anti-social activity?
● E-commerce (buying and selling things on the Internet) has become very popular. Give a reason for this?
● Is it better to buy online or to go to a shop? Why?
● Why is it very important not to give out personal information on the Internet?
● Do you think the Internet is making people more impatient?
● How has the Internet changed society?
● At what age do most people in your country get married?
● At what age do you want to get married?
○ At what age did you get married?
● Do women usually work after getting married in your country?
● Do you get along with your in-laws?
● Do you know anyone who has had an arranged marriage?
● Do you know someone who has gotten a divorce?
● Do you know the difference between love and like?
○ Can you still love your partner and not like him/her?
● Do you think a boy should pay for everything on a date?
● Do you think arranged marriages are a good idea? Why or why not?
○ What is your opinion of arranged marriages?
● Do you think getting married means giving up freedom?
● Do you think if you get married that you will change?
● Do you think it is better to be single or to be married?
● Do you think it is okay for a couple to live together before getting married? Why or Why not?
● Do you think it is okay to marry someone of a different race?
● Do you think it is okay to marry someone with a different religion?
● Do you think it’s OK for a man to have two wives?
● Do you think it’s OK for a wife to have two husbands?
● Do you think it’s okay for a man to have a mistress?
● Do you think it’s okay for a man to hit his wife?
● Do you think love is necessary to have a good marriage?
● Do you think marriages based on love are more successful than arranged marriages?
● Do you think marriage is very stressful for women? How about for men?
● Do you think people change after getting married?
● Do you think religion influences marriage? If so, in what ways?
● Do you think that you can find eternal love through the Internet?
● What are some of the main reasons people get divorced?
● What kind of person do you want to get married to?
● Would you marry someone from another country?
● Would you marry someone ten years older than you? How about ten years younger than you?
● Do you know a happily married couple?
● In your opinion, is marriage for life?
● What are your worst fears to face during marriage?
● In a marriage, do you think one person should handle the finances, or both?
● Can you tell us about your first date?
● Is the first impression important?
● Would you dress up for a first date? What clothes would you wear?
● Is it important to give your partner a present? What for example?
● What kind of place do you think is the ideal for a first date? Why do you think so?
● What things would you talk about on your first date?
● Would you share the bill? Or is it the man’s role? Why?
● Is there such a thing as a perfect relationship for you?
● If you could go out with anyone, who would it be?
● If you are a man, and a woman asks you for a date, do you feel you should pay, or that the woman should pay?
● What characteristics do you look for in a girlfriend or boyfriend?
● When should you introduce your boyfriend/girlfriend to your parents?
● Have you heard of any successful relationships through internet dating?
○ Would you consider trying it yourself?
A goal is a desired result that a person or a group of people envision, plan and commit to achieve. People endeavour to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.
● What is your biggest goal in life?
● How do you plan to achieve that goal?
● What are your “short term” goals?
● What are your “long term” goals?
● Should parents help their children set goals?
● What are your educational goals?
● What are your career goals?
● What are your financial goals?
● Is having a goal in life effective in becoming successful?
● Is having a goal helpful in motivating a person?
● Do you think people have fewer goals as they get older?
● Do you have any goals that you feel are unrealistic?
● How do people’s goals change from country to country?
● What are your goals in your current job?
● What are the main differences between male and female goals?
● Which of your goals have you already achieved?
● How would you feel if you failed to achieve any of your goals?
● Do you think it’s a good idea to write your goals down and tick them off as you achieve them?
● How important are goals to you?
● What do you hope to have achieved by the time you’re sixty?
● What is a goal?
● Can goals help to change your life? How?
● Do you have a five year plan for your life?
● What are your family’s goals?
● Are goals necessary to achieve success?
● How are plans and goals related?
● Are you ambitious enough to achieve the goals you set?
● Do you have spiritual/religious goals?
● Is one of your goals to be able to talk to your children’s English teacher?
● Do you think people have less goals as they get older?
● How will you feel, if you fail to achieve any of your goals?
● What is something you never learned to do but wish you had?
● Who is successful in your family? Why?
● Tell me about a goal that you achieved for yourself.
● Do you believe that people must work hard to become successful?
● Can you think of a successful person from your own county?
● What kind of success do you want in the future in your life?
● What can you do now to be successful in the future?
● Do you think that money and fame means success?
● Have you ever seen a celebrity in person? What did you do?
● Which celebrity would you like to meet? What would you do if you could spend a day with this person?
● Do you think famous people have the right to have a private life?
● Do you think it’s moral to sell your private life to the media?
● Why do you think there is such a high demand for gossip magazines and gossip TV programs?
● What are the pros and cons of being a celebrity?
● Did you have any heroes when you were a teenager?
● If you could influence people like a celebrity does, how would you use it for the benefit of the planet?
● Which celebrity do you most admire and why ?
● Would you like to be famous ? Why or why not ?
● Do you think there is a relationship between beauty and celebrity ?
● Would you like to be a celebrity? Why would you be famous?
● If you were a celebrity, would you take advantage of it to date some fans?
● Should celebrities be role models?
● Do you think that some celebrities earn much more money than they deserve?
Rich world, poor world
According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report, the world’s richest 1 percent, those with more than $1 million, own 43.4 percent of the world’s wealth. A major cause of economic inequality within modern economies is the determination of wages by the capitalist market.
● Do you think all citizens should be encouraged to do voluntary service overseas so as to understand the problems of poorer countries?
● Are poor people poor because they lack opportunities or because they are lazy? Give reasons.
● What kind of aid should the governments of rich countries give to poor countries? (money – food – medicine – machinery/equipment – hospitals – schools – training)
● Do you think it would be a good idea if all barriers to trade were removed from the world and people could freely export and import without customs duties or any other problems?
● Do you think it would be a good idea if people could live and work in any country they liked without restriction? What impact would such a change have?
● How would you react if a multinational employing several hundred people in your area announced they were moving to another country where production costs were lower?
● “Protectionism” refers to the practice of putting up trade barriers such as import duties so as to reduce or prevent the importation of goods from poorer countries and protect higher cost industries in more developed nations. What do you think of the morality of excluding goods from poor or developing countries?
● Is it right for rich countries to have strict immigration controls?
● How would you define success?
● Do you have the same idea of success as your parents?
● To what extent will you encourage your children to become successful?
● Do you think failures can contribute to a person’s success?
● Can you think of any famous people who encountered failure before success?
● What do you think is the most important political issue right now?
● Why do you think there are not more women in politics?
● What type of information – if any – should a government keep from its citizens?
● What do you think are the main reasons for immigration?
● Is foreign immigration an issue in your country/region/city? If so, why?
● Do you feel there should be any controls on immigration?
● When was the last great migratory movement within your country?
● When an immigrant arrives in a new country should they have the same access to healthcare and other rights as an existing citizen? Why, or why not?
● Should economic migrants be treated differently from those who have moved for political reasons? In what way should they be treated differently?
● What rights to vote should immigrants have in a new country?
● What should be the standard for giving citizenship to migrants?
● If an individual has entered a country illegally, what should be done with that individual?
● What responsibility, if any, do you think an immigrant’s home country has for repatriating the individual?
● The experts say that the European Union needs to absorb three million migrants a year to maintain its economic sustainability. So why do you think that politicians, especially before elections, try to equate immigration with delinquency, with causing high unemployment figures, with collapsing the social welfare system, the education system, etc.?
● The EU needs these immigrants because it has a static or declining natural population. It would prefer to attract qualified doctors, engineers etc from developing countries to fill its own needs. What do you think of the morality of rich countries attracting these trained professionals from developing countries?
Closer to home
● At some level everybody comes from somewhere else. When did your family move into their current area?
● Have you or anyone in your family recently emigrated?
● If your country has many immigrant workers, what would the impact on industry, agriculture etc if they were all to leave?
● If your country has many emigrants working abroad what would be the effect of them all coming home?
● In many countries with relatively high numbers of immigrants, there is a tendency to reject them. What do you think are the reasons for this?
● Do you know of anyone who has suffered any kind of discrimination because they come from another country?
● It is sometimes suggested that there is a link between immigration and crime. What is your opinion?
● Do immigrants have a duty to assimilate themselves into the local culture, or should they do their best to retain their own identities? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two strategies?
● Should immigrants have a legal obligation to learn the local language? Why, or why not?
● Should immigrants have the right to have their children educated in their native language? What are the arguments for and against?
● In an effort to help immigrants settle down, should legal papers be written in the immigrants’ home language?
At its simplest, ethics is a system of moral principles. They affect how people make decisions and lead their lives. Ethics is concerned with what is good for individuals and society and is also described as moral philosophy.
Ethics covers the following dilemmas:
how to live a good life, our rights and responsibilities, the language of right and wrong, moral decisions – what is good and bad?
● Are you a vegetarian? If yes/no then why?
● Do you believe in animal testing?
● Are zoos unethical?
● Should we have private schools in a society or do they give some an unfair advantage?
● If a colleague doesn’t come to work, would you cover for them?
● Is happiness the most important thing?
● Do you think gambling is ok?
● Do you think it should be illegal to take drugs?
● Do you think it should be illegal to drink alcohol?
● Do you think someone can be responsible for their actions when they have been drinking alcohol?
● Do you think it’s ok to steal if you’re desperate?
● Should it be illegal to have many wives?
● Should it be illegal to marry your brother or sister?
● Is it considered stealing if you take pens from work?
● Is it ok to fantasise about other people while you are with your partner?
● Is cheating ever ok?
● Should you always tell the truth? When is it ok to lie?
● Do you think euthanasia is ok?
● Is it ever ok to hide money from your partner?
● Would you abort a child if it had a mental condition?
● Is crime a big problem in your city/country?
● Have you ever been a victim of crime?
● What crime is common in your city/country?
● What would you do if you noticed a crime being committed?
● How is the law enforcement in your city/country?
If you had a free day every week and could use your day to learn something new, what would it be and why?
Give students a few ideas such as:
– Home repair/decoration
– Computer skills
You have only 100 days left to live. How would you spend your time?
What is the best decision you ever made?
Why are you confident that you made the right choice?
– Place where you live
If you became president of your country, what would be your top three priorities?
– Medical care
– Free food for the poor/ food vouchers, etc.
– Higher minimum wage
– Equal salaries for men and women
– Environment/climate change
Supposing you received $1000 that you must spend frivolously (in a way that is characterized by lack of seriousness). How would you use the money? (The money can’t be used for investing, paying bills, etc. – nothing “serious”).
– Go on a trip
– Go on a shopping spree: clothes/shoes etc.
– Invite your wife/husband to an expensive restaurant
– A treat for the family
– A gift for yourself that you’ve always wanted
– What do you know about the coronavirus?
– How can we stop the virus spreading? (wearing masks, washing hands, tests, vaccines …)
– Do you think everyone should be vaccinated against the virus?
– Are rich countries better protected than poorer countries?
– Do you think our lives will be different in the future as a result of the virus?
– Have you ever used an electric car?
– What are the advantages?
– Are electric cars expensive? Why?
– Where can you charge an electric car?
– Can electric cars travel as far as petrol or hybrid cars?
– Are electric cars better for the environment?
– Do you think there will be more electric cars in the future?
– Can you think of some things that annoy you?
– What annoys you on public transport?
– Do some drivers have annoying habits?
– Does snoring annoy you?
– Do children or young people do things that annoy adults?
Who is the greatest? (Ask students to add to the list.)
– Who is/was the greatest leader in the world?
– Who is/was the greatest athlete of all time?
– What is/was the greatest movie you ever saw?
– Who is/was the greatest inventor of all time?
Your experiences in life
– What is the best idea you have ever had?
– What is your biggest stroke of luck?
– What is the best / the worst piece of advice you ever received?
– What achievement are you most proud of?
– How often do you watch television?
– What do you think of the quality of television programmes today?
– What television programs are popular in your country?
– Is watching television good for children? Why? Why not?
– What would be your ideal TV show?
– Have you ever heard of fake news (fabricated news)?
– Where do we most often find fake news? (newspapers, social media, show business …)
– What examples of fake news can you think of?
– Why are social networks so popular nowadays?
– What are the positive/negative effects?
– Are social networks sometimes used for bad purposes?
– What bad purposes can you think of? (harassment, fake news …)
– What advice would you give to people about social networks?
Manners and politeness
– What do you think are some good/bad manners?
– Can good manners in one country be bad manners in another country?
– What are some good manners for using a mobile/cell phone?
– Why are manners important?
– Do people have better manners now than before?
– What country would you most like to visit?
– Is there a place you would never visit again?
– If you were only allowed to take five things to an unknown destination, what would you take?
– What country has the best cuisine?
– What is your favourite food?
– What is the worst thing you’ve ever tasted?
– Do you worry about the safety of the food you eat?
– Do you buy organic food?
– Are men and women always treated equally?
– Is it the same in all countries?
– Do women often face discrimination at work?
If ………. , what would you do?
– If your house caught fire, what three things would you save before running outside?
– If you could be another person for one day, who would you choose to be?
– If you could be invisible for one day, what would like to do?
– If you could live without sleeping, how would you spend your nights?
– If you could change ONE thing in the world, what would it be